Each class lasts 2 hours and typically follows the format below. Every second class will focus on weapons of some sort, and in this way students will receive a wide exposure to the various tools used in the Bujinkan.
5 mins Warm up
– Dynamic stretches and movements designed to teach your body how to move correctly during combat.
10 mins Rolling
– Ukemi and kaiten, teaching your body how to receive the ground when thrown. Includes rolls, cartwheels and break falls.
10 mins Striking
– Punching and kicking; training which often uses pads and also striking with the various weapons.
20 mins Ground Work
– Guards, mounts and techniques executed on the ground.
5 mins Shuriken
– Practicing throwing and blocking shuriken and other blades.
10 Mins Break
– A quick break for some green tea, and a chance for questions or discussion.
10 mins Kihon Happo
– Covering the 8 basic techniques which are the building blocks of the Bujinkan.
45 mins Waza
– Focus on a particular set of techniques, most often following the theme for the year and Shiraishi Sensei's teaching.
5 mins Show & Tell
– Each student demonstrates any technique which they practised during the class.